Federation is one among the most common distributed Documentum model. This means multiple Documentum repositories run as a federation. There will be a Governing repository and multiple member repositories in this model. Lets try to find out more about Federation
Take this typical scenario A Major Pharmaceutical Company ABC Corporation has multiple research centers and production plants across the glob and they have multiple Documentum repositories used for storing various information. A user logged into a corporate application needs to fetch documents from these various repositories in a Single session. Each repository in this scenario should have same set of users, groups and ACL for this architecture to work, manually managing these kind of scenario is trouble some and error prone.
Now lets see what a federation can do to make it less complex.
As I mentioned above Federations consists of Governing and Member repositories all the changes that has been made to global users and groups and external ACLS in the governing repository are automatically reproduced in the member Repository.
Requirements for Federation
· Object types definition should be same in the all participating repositories.
· User and group definition should be same in all participating repositories.
· The server on which governing repository runs must project to the connection brokers at the servers where member repository runs
· The server on which member repositories runs must project to the connection brokers at the servers where governing repository runs
· If any of the participating Content Servers are with trusted server licenses Either
The servers should be configured to listen on both secure and native port or
The secure connection default for clients allows the clients to request a connection on a native or secure port
Few Bullet points about Federation
· Any alteration done to any of the object type will not be automatically pushed to the participating repositories
· Only users or groups marked as Global while creating them will be pushed / synchronized with participating repositories
· The users those are part of any object types that are extended from dm_user will not automatically pushed. This will happen only if you specify this type in the Federation configuration.
· Each repositories can be part of a single federation
· A federation may contain different Content Server versions
· A federation may contain a mix of trusted and non-trusted Content Servers.